One of the biggest challenges as a Highly Sensitive Person is managing overstimulation. As HSPs we often take in more information from the environment then we can effectively process. This overstimulation can lead to exhaustion, anxiety, and an overall sense of being overwhelmed by life. (No fun!)
Yoga is a powerful way to help us reconnect with ourselves and find relief from overstimulation. For so many HSPs, coming to our mat feels like a sensitive sanctuary, a place to find solace from the chaos of life. By fostering mindfulness, regulating the nervous system, and promoting emotional release, yoga provides invaluable tools for managing overstimulation in our increasingly hectic world. For me, my mat is the place where I feel most present and calm in my body. That is one reason why I love sharing yoga with others.
7 Ways to Use Yoga to Reduce Overstimulation
1) Mindful Breathing Techniques: Central to yoga practice is conscious breathing. As HSPs we can utilize deep breathing techniques such as alternate nostril breathing or belly breathing to ground ourselves during or after overwhelming situations. These breathing practices activate the parasympathetic nervous system, countering the effects of overstimulation.
2) Gentle Asana Practice: HSPs can benefit from a gentle and restorative yoga asana practice. Slow and deliberate movements allow us to tune into our bodies, release physical tension, and reconnect with our inner selves. Poses like Child's Pose, Forward Folds, and Legs-Up-the-Wall provide nurturing spaces to find comfort and peace. Follow along with me for my free 20-minute Gentle Yoga to Calm Overstimulation.
3) Creating a Calming Space: Designating a personal yoga space at home can become a sanctuary for HSPs to retreat when feeling overstimulated. This space should be clutter-free, adorned with soothing colors, and include items that evoke a sense of tranquility, such as candles, cushions, or nature-inspired elements.
4) Yoga Nidra for Deep Relaxation: Yoga Nidra, or "Yogic Sleep," is a type of guided meditation that allows HSPs to experience profound relaxation by bringing conscious awareness to each area of the body, one at a time. Practicing Yoga Nidra regularly can alleviate mental fatigue, promoting better sleep, and aiding in emotional processing.
5) Meditation for Emotional Balance: Emotions can be intense for HSPs, and meditation provides a healthy channel for emotional release. Through mindfulness meditation, HSPs can observe our feelings without judgment, cultivating a sense of acceptance and self-compassion.
6) Yoga for Enhanced Self-Awareness: Regular yoga practice enables HSPs to deepen our self-awareness, recognizing the early signs of overstimulation. By identifying our limits and boundaries sooner, we can make conscious decisions to protect our well-being. This is key to having a less overstimulating life.
7) Restful Yoga Poses Before Bedtime: HSPs often struggle with sleep disturbances due to our heightened sensitivity and overactive minds. To promote better sleep and reduce overstimulation before bedtime, incorporating restful yoga poses can work wonders. Gentle forward folds, supine twists, and restorative back bends can help calm the nervous system, release tension, and prepare the body for a restorative sleep. By establishing a bedtime yoga routine, HSPs can create a peaceful transition from the busyness of the day to a more relaxed and rejuvenating state.
For Highly Sensitive People, yoga is much more than a physical practice; it is a transformative journey toward self-discovery and self-care. By incorporating mindful breathing, gentle asanas, meditation, and creating nurturing spaces, HSPs can find refuge in yoga amidst the overstimulating world. As we embrace our sensitivity and cultivate inner calm, HSPs will discover that our unique trait can be a source of strength and wisdom, empowering us to thrive in a world that may feel overwhelming at times.
One of the best ways to reduce overstimulation is to make your yoga practice consistent. If you are ready to explore the transformative power of daily relaxation and renewal, specifically tailored to nourish your sensitive soul, I encourage you to join my Yoga for the Sensitive Soul Membership 7 Day-Free Trial.
Membership includes unlimited access to all Livestream Classes, as well as the entire On Demand Library. The library is filled with over 100 classes to help you calm and strengthen. From Restorative to Flow, there is something from every mood/energy level. It’s free for 7-days and then just 24/month, the cost of less than 2 yoga classes at a studio.
With love and Sensitivity,