Updated: Apr 18
Being highly sensitive is a beautiful gift, but it as we know, it can also be challenging at times. We may feel overwhelmed by stimuli that others barely notice, be extra sensitive to stress and have difficulty with strong emotions. These challenges, combined with our overstimulating modern wold, can make it harder for us to feel relaxed and comfortable. However, when we trust that it is okay and even necessary to prioritize our comfort as HSPs, we can learn to make life a little more peaceful.
6 Tips to Find Comfort as an HSP:
1. Create a calm and soothing environment - As an HSP, you may be particularly sensitive to your surroundings. Creating a calm and soothing environment can help you feel more comfortable and at ease. This could involve lighting candles, playing soothing music, or decorating your home in a way that feels peaceful to you. Perhaps you create a safe and cozy space at home with soft blankets, pillows, and calming scents. This can be your sanctuary where you can retreat when you're feeling overwhelmed. And if you are short on space, even just a small corner of a room can be enough to increase your comfort and feel more at home.
2. Practice self-care - Self-care is essential for everyone, but it can be particularly beneficial for HSPs. Give yourself permission to take time for yourself and do things you enjoy, such as reading, taking a warm bath, or practicing yoga and meditation. A consistent self-care practice can help you feel more relaxed and help you to enjoy your life. A good place to start is with my gentle yoga class, "Find Comfort Within".
3. Set boundaries - Boundaries are what you need to do or say in order to feel safe and supported. Setting boundaries is essential for all individuals, but it can be particularly important for HSPs. You may need to say no to certain social events or limit your time spent around people who drain your energy. It's okay to prioritize your needs and take steps to protect your energy. In fact, boundaries are necessary in order to thrive.
4. Engage in mindful activities - Activities such as meditation, yoga, and deep breathing can be particularly beneficial for HSPs. These practices can help you feel more centered and calmer, and they can help you tune out excess external stimuli and focus on your internal experience. One of the best ways to commit to practicing mindful activities is with my Yoga for the Sensitive Soul Monthly Membership. Explore the 7-Day free trial.
5. Spend time in nature - Spending time in natural surroundings can be incredibly comforting for the sensitive soul. Go for a walk in the woods, sit by a lake, or enjoy the beauty of a sunset. Spending time in natural settings can help you feel more grounded and connected to the earth. Even if you can't go outside, I recommend looking out the window or at photos or videos of beautiful natural settings. Just the visual can be quite soothing.
6. Connect with like-minded individuals - Finding comfort can also mean connecting with others who understand you. Joining a community of like-minded people, such as an online HSP group, can provide a sense of belonging and validation. Joining my livestream yoga classes is also another way to be in community with HSPs and I am currently brainstorming ways for more connection in the future! Let me know in the comments if you have any ideas.
Remember, it's okay to feel overwhelmed and to need comfort as a highly sensitive person. You're not alone, so be gentle with yourself and take the time to care for your sensitive soul.
With Love & Sensitivity,